The Case Against Full Day Kindergarten: Part 2 is the second in a two part series I wrote over at Hip Homeschool Moms. Part 1 discussed how Kindergarten has changed from a playful learning atmosphere into an assessment-driven environment and how this negatively affects children. Part 2 explains how Kindergarten expectations and academics are too rigorous for young children.
I discuss the following topics in Part 2 of this series:
- Parents are no longer given a choice.
- Expectations for children entering public Kindergarten classrooms
- Our Kindergarten Schedule
- Academics in Kindergarten
- Advocating to give children an extra year for play
- Why the expectations are too high and they don’t work
- And what can we do as parents and educators?