Welcome to our Learning Language Series
Whole literacy learning encompasses more than simply learning letters and their sounds; it is the full knowledge and frame of reference for the English language and grasping the English language sounds. Literacy encompasses an array of spectrums: reading, writing, listening, viewing, and representing.
We can help our children create phonological and phonemic awareness through oral teaching, and that is what my Language Learning Series seeks to help you with! Success in literacy is the ability to hear sounds within words. Hearing sounds will help a child connect those sounds to letters. And learning letters make words, and words make sentences and ideas is the foundation of comprehension and literacy.
Our Learning Language Series will include discussion of the following questions & topics:
(These will be linked as they are posted to the blog!)
- What is phonological awareness?
- Why is rhyming an important language skill?
- What is phonemic awareness?
- How can I help my child develop phonemic awareness?
- How can I teach onsets and rimes?
- What is the importance of counting syllables in words?
- How can I help my child create sentences and count words in sentences?
- How to create a solid vocabulary from infancy?
- What is phonics and how do we begin reading?
- How can I help my child grow in language learning before reading instruction?